family

family

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Schools Out For Summer!

 Finally-summer vacation is here! Tuesday was my last day with students and Wednesday was the last day for teachers. I am always excited for the end of the school year, but somehow feel a bit sad as I walk out of my classroom for the last time until Fall. (That feeling of sadness lasts all about 3 minutes until I get into my car and drive away..ha! ) I am really looking forward to summer vacation since Nolan is now old enough to do a few more activities this summer.  I've decided this summer that I want do a different "theme" activity each day of the week-something fun, something interesting, and something to get us out of the house.

Here is what our weekly schedule will look like:

Mondays: Zoo Day! We bought a zoo pass and on Mondays we can ride the train and carousel for free. Nolan loved going to the zoo last year and loves to look at the animals! He is more into walking instead of riding in the stroller, but I have a feeling I will bring it just in case.

Tuesdays: Library Day! We are going to go to storytime at the Waukee Library at 10:00a.m. They do stories, songs, finger puppets, and a craft each time. I had wanted to go to our West Des Moines Library, but you have to register for each time and they had already filled up for the month of June! Waukee does not have a registration, which I prefer because if something else comes up I won't feel guilty for not going. I signed Nolan up for the Summer Reading Program at the West Des Moines Library. This year the theme is, "Dig Into Reading." Since Nolan falls in the Pre-K section, I get to read him all his stories. They give you a reading log to fill out and then dates to bring your log to the library to receive prizes. The prizes consist of zoo passes, Iowa Cubs Baseball tickets, free kids meals, and treasure box prizes. Nolan loves reading, so I'm sure our log will be filled up in no time!

Wednesdays: Movie Day! My friend Yessica told me about this summer movie program out at  Jordan Creek Century Theaters. Every Tuesday and Wednesday they play a kids movie (rated G or PG) and it only costs $1.00 per person! (Nolan is free since he is two.) I bought the pass which basically means I paid $5.00 for 10 movies...can't beat that!  I figured this would be a great "date" with some friends and Nolan would get to enjoy the movie theater atmosphere.

Thursdays: Pool and Park Day! This will be our day to go to our neighborhood park and swim in our pool at home. I also was interested in looking at some kid splash-pad areas around town. Nolan loves to swim, so I have a feeling we might be doing this more than just on Thursdays...especially if the weather is nice!

Friday: Food and Craft Day! This will be the day where we cook, bake, or do some type of craft. Nolan loves to help cook and bake in the kitchen with us...now it's just getting him to eat it! I also want to do some finger painting, color sorting, number counting, etc. activities on this day.

Of course in addition to these "themed days" we will have playdates , lunch dates, and visiting  Aunt Christina and grandparents.Some of my summer goals include potty training (we are going to attempt this in July) and to get Nolan to eat more "real" foods...not baby food. Wish us luck!


Nolan took all the toys out of his basket and climbed inside to play.

Enjoying a popsicle!


Helping make pancakes!
He actually ate a few bites!


Watching an airplane!

No comments:

Post a Comment